Monday, April 13, 2009

Build a DIY Truing Stand for less than $20

I have a few spokes that I need to replace on my old road bike and I wanted an accurate way to true up my wheel, so I whipped up a truing stand using some 1x4s that I had around the house and about $2 of hardware. It's cheap, simple and works really well.

Photobucket
I can use it on top of a table or workbench.

Photobucket
Boards screwed together as a T make it pretty stiff.

Photobucket
I used a couple of angle brackets for cabinets to mount the wheel. Just fully unscrew the quick release and slide the axle through the holes in the brackets and then screw the quick release back on to mount it.

Photobucket
This is the really cool part. I found this runout gauge at the thrift store a couple of years ago. It measures to a thousandth of an inch. If you don't have something like this, a stick could help you gauge the wobble or runout.

Photobucket
Using an angle bracket and screws, I can mount the gauge anywhere on the stand to measure different sized wheels.

3 comments:

Sri said...

very nice posts. i like your blog.

http://gizvillage.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

great creation with great pictures..

weight loss pills